Sim Oasis
October 25, 2014, 09:21:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Check out our latest Creator Themes available. If you have something you'd like to contribute, feel free to do so!
Home Forum Help Search Login Register Chat

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Tutorial: Start to Finish Pose Box Creation  (Read 84401 times)
Jasumi
Administrator
Oasis Native

Awards:
☼♒ Sim Oasis Lifeguard ♒☼*Halloween Spooktacular Judge*Anniversary ContributorSourpuss of Oasis 2009Sim Oasis Contest Winner!

Thanks for the award, Lis -_-

« Topic Start: January 23, 2009, 03:04:54 PM »

NOTE: Do not send me your posebox if it is working incorrectly, as I no longer have the Sims 2 installed on my computer. Undecided You will have much better luck asking for help on ModTheSims. I'm also quite a busy person, so don't be mad if you send me a pm and I never reply back...

Don't let the title intimidate you! Regardless of your degree of familiarity with SimPE, creating pose boxes is an easy and painless procedure if done correctly. Now let's begin!

Tools Needed:
--Milkshape v1.8.0 or higher: Here
--SimPE (newest version): Here
--AniMesh Exporter: Here
--Sim Body with Skeleton: Here

If you already have these tools, no use in downloading them twice lol
For those who are familiar with body meshing, you can also use custom body shapes when creating new animations*

Part One
If you already know how to create animations you can skip to Part Two, where we export the animation. To install the AniMesh Exporter, simply dump all the zip files into your Program Files-->Milkshape folder.

Step 1: Loading Mesh
Now that you have all your tools installed, let's open up Milkshape.

You should see just an empty screen with grid lines on it like the one above.

Now click File-->Open and find the sim bodies that Dr.Pixel extracted. They should be in the same location that you saved them to, whether it's the Desktop, My Documents, etc...The file we want should be called AManimBASE, for instance. The names are coded for the age and gender they represent.

When the body loads, you'll see there are a ring of vertexes around his neck. This is because Dr.Pixel had selected these vertexes before he saved the mesh. I don't know why he did this. Just click any space in the screen, and they will disappear.

You may also notice that my mesh is yellow. That's because I have colored groups on. It's really only useful for meshing with groups, but not for animating. So don't worry about it if your guy is grey. Just ignore it lol

Step Two: Configuring Milkshape for Animating
Now we want to have the skeleton visible. If you can already see a blue skeleton, don't worry.

Click On the Joints tab, then select Show Skeleton. Now you should see a blue skeleton like the image above**

Then click on Window-->Show Keyframer. A little box should pop up at the bottom. Click on the ANIM button. Make sure your animation settings are the same as what I have entered: 1.0-0-30-30. These values go in the four boxes next to the ANIM button.

Now you want to make sure in the Model tab, that Select is set to Joint. Just click the Joint button.

Step Three: Creating the Animation

The actual animating is very simple. When in Select Mode, drag your cursor around a joint attached to the bodypart you wish to move. Then you click on Rotate. The rotate button allows you to move the body part up and down. When making Global Rotations, sometimes the mesh will grow larger and other strange things can happen. You may want to set the Rotation mode to Local. Simply click the radio button aside "Local" You can do with all joints until you find your desired pose. But remember...

NEVER MOVE the AUSKEL JOINT!!!

Step Five: root_trans and root_rot
Root_Trans and Root_Rot are two very important bones. They control Global movement for a sim.

Root Trans

If you were to create a pose where the sim is sitting, but you find that they are floating it is because you did not modify the root_trans!

Go to the Joints Tab-->root_trans

The whole skeleton should turn green like in the pic above. This enables you to move the mesh around, forward, backward, up and down. You need to use the root_trans to do this. Think translations, or movement, to help you remember this joint and not confuse it wth root_rot.

Root_Rot

This joint serves a similar purpose as Root_Trans, only this joint allows you to rotate the entire skeleton.

Step Six: Setting the Keyframe

When you've finally found a pose you want, you need to set a keyframe. Click Edit -->Select All and his whole body should turn red. Then click Animate-->Set Keyframe, and his skeleton should turn yellow.

Looks like you're done with Part 1 now!

---------
Extended Notes:
--*However, some female outfits will deform oddly when using animations assigned to the male skeleton. Thus it is best to use a female body for making animations intended for female sims.
--**If you see a gigantic mess everywhere, it's because your joints are too large. Make sure under File-->Preferences-->Misc that Joint Size is set to 0.010000

Part Two: Exporting the Animation
Step 1: Exporting Animation
When you've finally got your pose all set up, you can send it out Milkshape so we can begin building our pose box.

Go to File-->Export-->Scroll Down and click Sims 2 ANIMESH Exporter

Step 2: Naming the Animation
This part is very important! You need to name your file correctly so that the game can read it.

Your anim must begin with "a-" then you can write out the rest. Also, you can only use hyphens "-". You can not use any spaces or anything else.

Sample Names:
1. a-model-dirtman
2. a-gun-shoot-gardener
3. a-sim-sim-do-something
4. a-wordsalljumbledtogethernohyphen

Get the idea?

Step 2: Export Options
After you save the file, a dialog box should appear:

Look at the image and make sure that you have the same setting as I do. Click Export

Now you're done with Part 2!
In Part 3 we will finally build our pose box in SimPE...

Part 3: Building the Pose Box
Step 1: Cloning our Object
Open up SimPE now. Don't be bothered by the interface change, I was hopping between two different computers. lol One has Vista, other has a Windows 98 taskbar.

Anyways.....you want to click on the little paper icon in the top corner to create a new package file. Then select the tab that says "Object Workshop." Then click Start.

It will take a little while to load up all the items.

Now scroll down until you find the "Unknown" category and select that. Hit the letter "P" on your keyboard to jump you down a few spaces. Then search for an object called "Paul's Reaction Test Object." This is the best object to use when making pose hacks. Then click Next

Make sure you have the same settings checked as what I have up above. Then click Next

The Scenegraph Wizard will pop up. Make sure you do not use the underscore "_" when renaming your object. You want to give it a unique name that describes your object. I called mine "jasumi-tutorial-anim-hack." Then hit Update and OK.

Another Dialog Box will appear asking you to save your object. Give it a unique name as well, and try to use your own name or username with naming the file. Save this to your Downloads folder.

Step Two: Updating the GUID
This step is very important. If you make any changes, and then update your GUID later the object will not work. You need to update the GUID immediately after your initial save.

Click on the Plugin View tab. Click get GUID.

Again, ignore the interface change lol

Now another dialog box should have popped up. If you've never used SimPE to make objects before, click on register new user. Then follow the steps to registering an account. If you have an account then simply log in, or you may already be logged in.

The New Object tab should be open. Change the name to something unique (but memorable) and then hit Register Object

Then click Update, then click Commit, and then Save.

Step Three: Creating our Animation Package
Now we need to create a new package where we can store the animation.

Click on the Paper Icon to create a new package file.
Then click Add (the blue and yellow icon with the folder); you could also right click and select Add
A new dialog box should pop up.
Search for your animation (the one you named in Part 2) and hit Open

You should see this afterward.  

Click on the Resource tab, and in the drop-down menu select "Animation Resource"

Now click on the Plugin View tab. Click a little button called "fix TGI". Then Save. Name your package something unique but memorable, try including your username, and remember to only use hyphens.

Now copy the data under Filename. Do not copy the _anim part or it will not work. Hit Ctrl+C to copy the text.

Step Four: Editing Textlist
Now open your hack again, the one we cloned from Paul's Reaction Test Object.

Select Textlists from the AllRes List, and then select Anims Adult

Now we select the first filename under textlists. Mine says "a-reaction-jasumi-tutorial-anim-hack" and then click Add.
In the clone, your want to paste (Ctrl + V) the text we coped from the other file. Your animation's name should pop up in the 2nd line now.

Step Five: Adding New Pie String
Now we need to add a new Pie String for our animation. The Pie String is the the text that shows up in the game when we click on the box.

Now click on Pie Menu Strings in the AllRes list. Then click on [Pie Menu Strings] in the Name section.

Here you want to scroll all the way down to the bottom. You want to highlight the string Pet Reactions and hit Add. Then select the new string, and hit Add again. You can rename these strings to be whatever you want to see in-game. Just highlight the line of text and change the value in String.

The slash "/" symbol will make second-level strings. Like with the pose hacks, in-game first you click male then you click the pose you want, then you click start. Make sure that you have both start and stop file names. This is very important.

If you name your first String "Man.../Thumbs Up.../Start"
The 2nd one must be "Man.../Thumbs Up.../Stop"

When you're done, hit Default Lang Only then Commit File. Save.

Step Six: Coding the BHAVs
Now click on Behavior Funtion (BHAV) in AllREs and you should see this:

Now click on Funtion - Init and click on the clone button. It is the 5th one over from Add Button. If you hover your cursor over the right button, it should say "clone" or "duplicate"

Now select your cloned Funtion - Init. It will be italicized. Click on the Resource Tab. Here we need to change the resource so that our new function does not override the other ones. In the instance, type in the same value as the one in the picture. Then hit force commit. then save.

Click on the Plugin View tab. Under File name, call your BHAV "Start - ()" You can fill whatever you want between the parenthesis. But you must add "Start - " to the name of your BHAV.

Now highlight the first data block. You want to enter the save values as what I have on the right. It should look like the picture above. Only change the OpCode, True Target, False Target, and Operands. Then hit Commit File. Save.

Now select the 2nd block of text. Here is where we will enter our data values. Copy the same values as what I have in the image. The Operands is important to notice. The first square under operands is where the BHAV will call your animation. To know what to type in this block, reference the Text List. It will say right next to your animation what the Operand is.

Operands:

All the Operands are listed in the column under the "#" symbol. The Operand is the last two letters in that string.

For instance, the operand for "a-reaction-jasumi-tutorial-anim-hack" is 00. For our first animation, we will enter 01 as the Operand.

After you have typed in the values for our BHAV, hit Commit File. Save.

Now clone the "Start - ...." BHAV that we created earlier. Change the "Start - " in filename to "Stop - "

Highlight the 1st block of text and hit the Delete button.

Copy the same values as what I have above. Make sure your operands match up everytime you start a new BHAV.

Click the Resource tab. We want to change our instance value from 2F to 30. You never want two BHAVs to have the same instance number, or one will override the other in-game. Hit force commit. Save.

Step Seven: Changing the Pie Menu Function
Now we need to link up our BHAV with our Pie Menu String.

Select Pie Menu Functions-->Reaction Test Interaction Table. You should see something like the above image.
Highlight Pet Reactions, then click Add

Despite what my image says make sure that only adults, teens, and elders are ticked in the dialog box. lol Big Dogs, Cats, and Visitors should not be ticked.
Now in the Pie String ID drop-down find your "start" pie string.

Under Action BHAV click the arrow and search for your "Start - ..." BHAV in the dialog box.

Then click Add and repeat for your Stop BHAV, like the image below.

Hit Commit File. Save.

Step Nine: Fixing the Category
Now we want our pose box to show up in the right category.

Select Object Data from AllRes, and the Reaction Test. Tick the places you want your box to show up at.

Step Ten: Changing the Image
If you want to change your image, click on Texture Image from AllRes, then the name of your texture under Name. Mine is called "jasumi-tutorial-anim-hack_txtr"

Simply click the import button and find a suitable image. Make sure it is the right size, and that you update the other image files as well.

Well there you have it. Hit Save one last time and you should be done!

If you have any issues, or would like me to expand upon something, think I made a typo, or whatever.....ask in this thread and I will answer. Or if I'm in the chat, you can ask me there (which I would prefer).

« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:24:57 AM by Jasumi » Logged

Netra
Oasis Native

Awards:
☥♥ Family Matters Contestant ☥♥❦ Autumn Judge ❦*Halloween Spooktacular Judge*✚ Medical Mania Contributor ✚¤ Jungle Contributor Wannabe¤¤ Jungle Fever Contest Judge ¤~Dragon Age Junkie~~Happy Aquarium Groupie~•~*~•♣ St Patricks Day Contributor ♣♥ Valentines Contributor! ♥Cooltastic ModAnniversary ContributorCreative Creator!October 2009 Member of the Month!Oasis ExplorerSim Oasis Contest Winner!

~Loverer of TS3~

« Reply #1: January 23, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »

If I build up the courage I'll try this ASAP. I just book marked, thanks for sharing this with us Jasumi.  Laugh
Kielen
Shiny, Cap'n
Administrator
Oasis Native

« Reply #2: January 23, 2009, 04:08:46 PM »

*squeals*

I plan to tear this up when I get home. Thanks Jasumi!!!!

I don't have time for every poser in a parka...
aliccolo
ah-lih-koh-loh
Contest Host
Oasis Native

alicia+ piccolo = aliccolo

« Reply #3: January 23, 2009, 04:35:44 PM »

OHMIGOSH!!!  How cool is this!  Jasumi, you're my hero!  Cheesy  I can't wait to try this out!

Should I fall out of love, my fire in the light to chase a feather in the wind?
Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight, there moves a thread that has no end.
Jasumi
Administrator
Oasis Native

Awards:
☼♒ Sim Oasis Lifeguard ♒☼*Halloween Spooktacular Judge*Anniversary ContributorSourpuss of Oasis 2009Sim Oasis Contest Winner!

« Reply #4: January 23, 2009, 07:50:27 PM »

Okay, I'm 100% done with the tutorial now. If you find anything confusing, let me know.

yezzie
Sim Oasis's resident witch
Contest Host
Oasis Native

Awards:
Hosting Vet: 4 Contests

Roawrrrr

« Reply #5: January 23, 2009, 08:01:53 PM »

Thank you Jasumi this is awesome!

April 18th  - Sim House Extreme Makeover
Decorate and Re Design this starter home for your sims.

"Well behaved women, rarely make history...."
xoJessi
Oasis Native

Awards:
❉ Christmas Contestant 2011 ❉❉ Home for the Holidays Contestant ❉☼♒ Sim Oasis Lifeguard ♒☼Creative Creator!•~*~•Hosting Vet- 11 Contests♣ St Patricks Day Contributor ♣♥ Valentines Contributor! ♥Funky Fresh AdminAnniversary ContributorOasis ExplorerSim Oasis Contest Winner!

*squeel*

« Reply #6: January 25, 2009, 10:21:34 AM »

I found it!!! Cheesy I was wondering if you posted this anywhere. Thanks a lot Jasumi.
FlowerMisty
Contest Host
Island Dweller

Awards:
♢⋆ Maxis Revamp Contributor ⋆♢☼♒ Cast Away Contributor ♒☼☊ Physical Figures Contributor ☊☄⋆ Lifestyles of the Phenomenally Occult Contestant ⋆☄☥⋆Physical Figures Contestant ☥⋆☄⋆ Lifestyles of the Phenomenally Occult Contributor ⋆☄♕⋆ Fairy Tales Contestant ⋆♕✇⋆Victoriana: Punking Up Steam Contributor ⋆✇◉⋆ The Weird, Wacky, & Truly Bizarre Contributor ⋆◉❉ Winter Wonderland Contestant ❉❉ Christmas Contestant 2011 ❉❉ Secret Santa 2011 ❉♕⋆ Fairy Tales Come True Contributor ⋆♕❉ Winter Wonderland Contributor ❉❁⋆ Nature Contestant ⋆❁☣⋆ One Man's Trash Contestant ⋆☣❁⋆ Nature Contributor ⋆❁Creative Creator!☣⋆ One Man's Trash Contributor ⋆☣♥ Valentines Contributor! ♥Anniversary ContributorSim Oasis Contest Winner

Mystified

« Reply #7: January 25, 2009, 02:15:42 PM »

Wow, how awesome! Thanks Jasumi!

UPDATED APR 23 2012
Kielen
Shiny, Cap'n
Administrator
Oasis Native

« Reply #8: January 30, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »

Jasumi, it's not working for me. I've gone all the way through it several times and copied everything, but each time, the box only displays the usual options for the reation tester, not any of the newly created options/pie strings...

Jasumi
Administrator
Oasis Native

Awards:

« Reply #9: January 30, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »

Jasumi, it's not working for me. I've gone all the way through it several times and copied everything, but each time, the box only displays the usual options for the reation tester, not any of the newly created options/pie strings...

I see. You probably didn't link up the Pie Menu Functions correctly.

Or you may have forgotten to update the Resource for each BHAV.

You can PM me your hack file, and I can take a look at it for you!

Kielen
Shiny, Cap'n
Administrator
Oasis Native

« Reply #10: January 30, 2009, 09:40:36 PM »

Ok, I got the box working, but the animation isn't playing. *sighs*

Jasumi
Administrator
Oasis Native

Awards:

« Reply #11: January 31, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »

Ok, I got the box working, but the animation isn't playing. *sighs*

Did you remember to hit "Fix TGI" for all the files in the Animation package?

Kielen
Shiny, Cap'n
Administrator
Oasis Native

« Reply #12: January 31, 2009, 10:36:19 AM »

Yup. Redid the animation package several times to double check.

nextor_torres
I'm a Cylon!
Story Mod
Oasis Native

Awards:
☂ Carnivals & Fairs Contestant ☂☂ Spring Contributor! ☂♣ St Patricks Day Contributor ♣Creative Creator!Hosting Vet: 4 ContestsProud PsychopathOasis ExplorerSim Oasis Contest Winner!

Alien Scientist

« Reply #13: January 31, 2009, 11:34:07 AM »

Ok I'm stock at the begining I click show skeleton & look what I have!

Any idea!

SynapticSim
Beach Comber

Awards:
Sim Oasis Contest Winner!

Your Personal Superhero!

« Reply #14: January 31, 2009, 03:09:33 PM »

Jasumi, this is awesome!  I hope I get the chance to play with it soon.  There are some animations that I would love to have.  This looks like a very detailed tut, thanks for going to all this work for us!

~ Syn

Ok I'm stock at the begining I click show skeleton & look what I have!

Any idea!

It's because your joints are too big Nex.  This is up there in the tutorial:

--**If you see a gigantic mess everywhere, it's because your joints are too large. Make sure under File-->Preferences-->Misc that Joint Size is set to 0.010000

Works like a charm, lol.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

This site is not endorsed by or affiliated with Electronic Arts, or its licensors. Trademarks are the property of their respective owners. Game content and materials copyright Electronic Arts Inc. and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.

TinyPortal v1.0.5 beta 1© Bloc